"The Furnace Doctors. Just What Your Family Ordered."

Furnace Doctors Logo


Three Common Allergens That Can Invade Your Home’s Air
Furnace Doctors

Three Common Allergens That Can Invade Your Home’s Air

Though most of us look forward to spring in Minnesota, for allergy sufferers, it can be a different story. The constant sniffling, sneezing, coughing, and leaky-faucet nose can have a person wishing the weather would just hurry up and get hot already!

If you live with someone who has allergies, it’s important to know what can set them off; they deserve a high degree of residential indoor air quality just as much as you do. However, making sure your air is clean goes beyond preventing the obvious invaders, like pollen. Some allergy triggers lurk and breed within your own home.

Below, Furnace Doctors, Saint Paul Park heating and cooling contractors, discusses a few allergy triggers that might be dragging down your residential indoor air quality.

Dust Mites

According to The American Lung Association, “roughly four out of five homes in the United States have detectable levels of dust mite allergen in at least one bed.” In other words, statistically speaking, it’s highly likely that these microscopic, otherwise harmless critters are dirtying up the air you breathe.

While they don’t bite or sting, the debris they leave behind can cause symptoms that are common to hay fever, according to the Mayo Clinic, like sneezing and a runny nose. Constantly feeling sick is no way to be inside your very own home, so if you’re battling a dust mite allergy, it might be time to invest in some air purification technology.

Pet Dander

Pet dander—dead skin flakes—are an allergen commonly found in any home that houses an animal. Because modern houses are energy-efficient and sometimes poorly ventilated, and because this allergen is one that tends to float in the air for a while before settling, it can mean major problems for even those with mild allergies. Air purification products and filters with higher MERV ratings can help.


Yes, moisture! According to Smarter House, “moisture is one of the most important and least recognized indoor pollutants, affecting both human health and the health of the building.” While it may not be a danger to your health in and of itself, excess household humidity sets the stage for allergen accumulation, as mold and mildew adore it. It’s yet another reason to mind your household humidity, as we discussed in our HVAC contractor blog on the subject.

Furnace Doctors: Breathe Easy in a Comfortable Home

We’re residential indoor air quality pros, and we’re here to help keep your home comfortable and your family healthy. Reach our Saint Paul Park office today at 651-789-3082.

Previous Article Post-Winter Furnace Checkup: Three Things to Do Before Shutting it Down for the Season
Next Article Why an Air Conditioner on its Own Doesn’t Work as a Dehumidifier
82 Rate this article:
No rating

Theme picker

Furnace Doctors Logo

Local Reviews